Monday, February 06, 2006

Hello world!

After my recent Understanding memory usage on Linux post was linked from some large web sites (Slashdot, Digg, and del.icio.us so far), I thought it would be fun to create a map that showed where the resulting ~60,000 hits came from.

The map displays a dot for each hit that I received over the last few days. This isn't an exact science, as I can only determine where everyone's ISPs are located, but I figure it is a pretty close estimate. I would love to create an hour-by-hour slideshow, but that will have to wait for another day.

So here's a "hello world" to all of my fellow geeks in Russia, Nigeria, Egypt, Bermuda, the middle of the Caspian Sea, Sydney, Sri Lanka, Argentina, Iceland, Italia, and everywhere else.

5 Comments:

At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting ! What do you use to make convert IP to coordonates ?

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

devin, thanks! the map is wonderful!

every once in a while i'm impressed yet again at the power of the net to spread knowlege all around. i'm impressed again.

what a powerful set of tools are available!

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention Moldova ;o)
That was a nice article, I love internet because there is so much ppl what love to share :)
Thank you :)

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is even someone from Alaska, haha :)
That's wired so little ppl from China..

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some fishes probably read the post too .. I see a couple hits from the middle of the ocean but again maybe it's a boat or an island :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home